Thread: Using JTAG programmer with time limited evaluation IP license

Default Using JTAG programmer with time limited evaluation IP license

Hi,

I'm having some trouble programming my design using JTAG - specifically I cannot program my board with a time limited .SOF. I've tried this in SignalTap II firstly, which fails with "JTAG Chain Configuration: Programming failed". I figured maybe this had something to do with SignalTap II not working with time limited .sofs, so I tried programming in the Programmer, (under Finish Design in the Task window). I get similar results where I tell it to program, the dialog box comes up saying that the license is time limited, and then a notification that Progess: Failed.

What am I missing? As far as I know, I should be able to program the board to use the core indefinitely, as long as the board stays tethered via jtag. I think next I will try programming using quartus_pgm.exe rather than Quartus, but if anyone could provide any insight into this problem, I would appreciate it greatly.

I should note that my drivers etc all work fine, I've tested my setup with a design that does not include the Evaluation license IP, and JTAG programming that works fine.

Thanks for your time -
    ap29

Default Re: Using JTAG programmer with time limited evaluation IP license

What version of Quartus? Lite or Standard Edition? What IP is causing the issue? More info required here.

Quote Originally Posted by sstrell View Post
    What version of Quartus? Lite or Standard Edition? What IP is causing the issue? More info required here.
    Apologies for lack of info - Quartus Prime Pro 16.1 - the IP being used is the Altera/Intel Tri-speed Ethernet MAC. Here is the most recent PDF for it: https://www.altera.com/en_US/pdfs/li...g_ethernet.pdf

Thanks for taking a look

Quote Originally Posted by ap29 View Post
    Apologies for lack of info - Quartus Prime Pro 16.1 - the IP being used is the Altera/Intel Tri-speed Ethernet MAC. Here is the most recent PDF for it: https://www.altera.com/en_US/pdfs/li...g_ethernet.pdf

Thanks for taking a look
    Also, the device I'm using is an Arria 10AX115S2F45I2SGES. After attempting a configuration via cmd instead of Quartus GUI, I got error message 209014 - CONF_DONE pin failed to go high in device 1. I checked altera records for this error, and this relates to either cables being not plugged in (not applicable to my case, as I can configure just fine with a .sof that doesn't include the time-evaluation module). Other causes include a bug in Quartus versions earlier than 16.1.1 for MAX 10 chips - I am on v16.1.0 but am using an Arria10, not a MAX 10. I've checked the CONF_DONE pin for my FPGA, which is PIN_AP27, which I haven't constrained, so I don't think I'd be having an issue there either.